Fourier Analysis is a mathematical tool which can do a number of things: separate out signals from noise; help identify patterns or trends in data; filter out all unwanted data and focus on a single signal; use approximations to make generalizations; make approximations of real world signals (think electronic music); combine harmonics to get a stronger signal. That's what I'll be trying to do here!! Won't you join me with your comments?

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Summer Recipe

Okay, let me first add a disclaimer here. I am not a "recipe" person. I did not intend this blog to be all kitchen and cooking,etc. I don't have the talent nor the writing skills to make this kind of stuff interesting. If you want that, I can recommend a few blogs that do: Anno, Scribbit, or check out 101 cookbooks.

Having said this, I have collected a number of what I thought were special or unusual recipes and I happened to mention one to a friend who subsequently asked for it. As I was reading the recipe over again, it sounded so good I thought I'd go ahead and share it here. The measures are in US norms, but all ingredients should also be available in Europe. This will likely be a rare occasion, so if you don't like this sort of stuff, please don't be turned off by my blog and stop reading! However, if you are a bit adventurous and want something different for a hot summer day, I give you...

Green Gazpacho
Ingredients for 2 Servings:
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, cut into quarters
1 cup cooled chicken broth ( I sometimes used canned, if it isn't too salty)
1/2 cup light sour cream or lowfat yoghurt
2 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons lime juice (can also substitute lemon juice)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I sometimes substitute Garlic or Celery Salt here)
1/2 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed.
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I have also been known to add more, but this is a matter of taste!)
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup diced yellow pepper
Chopped parsley for decoration
Garlic or other seasoned croutons

In blender or food processor, combine cucumbers, chicken broth, sour cream or yoghurt, scallions, lime juice, avocado, salt and hot pepper sauce. Blend until smooth. Stir in diced peppers, saving a few as topping. Chill one hour before serving. Garnish with remaining diced peppers, parsley and croutons!

As a variation I have on occasion also added canned corn for a bit more texture.

For another variation, leave out the Avocado and you have White Gazpacho (also good, just not quite as thick!)

If I was better at this blogging stuff and picture taking, I could provide you with a great photo, however before I could take a nice one for posting, the bowl was already empty. Sorry!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

I'm not much of a cook too.

anno said...

I do love to cook, it's true... once or twice a week. The rest of the time, I'm just as happy to eat out. This recipe, though, sounds so good, and the air this morning is so hot & humid, I'm ready to make it for breakfast -- with extra hot sauce, naturally! Thanks for posting this!

Real Life Drama Queen said...

I love love love to cook! Thanks for the recipe. It is the cleaning that I totally hate. Thank God for dishwashers.

PS. I explained thing number 3.

Happy Blogging.

Jen said...

This looks really wonderful! Thanks for sharing it.

Stacey said...

The bowl was empty...thats a good sign right ?

Real Life Drama Queen said...

This is totally unrelated, but in regards to the comment you left me. Here goes.

At the top of your screen where it says Customize. Click that and a page should then say several things including "Add Page Element" You need to click on that and pic add picture. From there it should be easy. Hope that helps you post your award. If not let me know I will try to help you again.

Jenn in Holland said...

Someone has been eating MY gazpacho! Is this what the bears say when they return to the kitchen after your visit Goldilocks?

Robin said...

This sounds great. Especially since while I love the idea of gazpacho I loathe and detest fresh tomatoes. Green gazpacho sounds just perfect.

I'll have to try this quickly before avocados go completely out of season.