Fourier Analysis is a mathematical tool which can do a number of things: separate out signals from noise; help identify patterns or trends in data; filter out all unwanted data and focus on a single signal; use approximations to make generalizations; make approximations of real world signals (think electronic music); combine harmonics to get a stronger signal. That's what I'll be trying to do here!! Won't you join me with your comments?

Thursday, July 5, 2007

15 Reasons Why I Should Not Start a Blog

  1. There are people in my past that I don’t necessarily want to find me.
  2. With all the blogs I read and want to comment on, I really don’t have the time to write very much.
  3. With all the great blogs out there and people who can write with such insight, poetry and wisdom, what do I really have to say that anyone would want to read?
  4. My mother and brothers don’t read blogs, so it is not really about communicating with family. Neither does my husband, but that’s not necessarily a negative...
  5. Despite my extrovert nature, I am really a pretty private person.
  6. I have planned for a long time to submit some of my stories to Reader’s Digest and earn money, that is if they would publish them. Would they do that if I write them in my blog first?
  7. I’m not really as nice a person as I want people to believe I am. What if I let my true cynical self shine through on this forum? Then the jig would be up!
  8. I do have a habit of using “fifty-cent words” (as my best friend reminds me). Would any want to keep reading my blog if they have to keep using a dictionary?
  9. I am a scientist, an engineer, a physicist, an astronomer. At least in what is left of my mind after I get through the day being “mommy”. Just because I’ve always wanted to write doesn’t mean that I can.
  10. I am not really that creative.
  11. My schedule is pretty erratic.
  12. I really should spend less time behind the computer and more in the gym.
  13. I get pretty cynical and at times can be a real whiner. Who wants to read that?
  14. No one would believe some of the stories I have, even though they are the honest truth.
  15. I can be pretty verbose. And I ramble. And my general style is stream-of-consciousness. A blog might well be all the evidence needed for locking me away in the insane asylum.

What does it say about me that I seem to be unwilling to listen to reason?





12 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

hmmmm. It's a little too late now, isn't it?

Link love coming your way today!

anno said...

What does it say about me that I seem to be unwilling to listen to reason?

um... that you have something to say? And that you're not going to let niggly little doubts get in the way of joining the conversation? It's been good to find you here!

Jennifer said...

I must say I found you through someone else's blog (Because I must blog)
And your title attracted me- because my grad. research was using a Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Mass Spectrometer- I'm a chemist turned work-at-home mommy.
Nice to meet you and I am planning to keep checking out your blog!!! Keep it up!

Molly said...

Welcome to the blogging world. I keep a dictionary at my elbow, and most of us are cynical from time to time. So no more excuses, on with the blogging.

Jenn in Holland said...

hehe.
Told you, you'd find friends.

Day Dreamer said...

Believe me...the stories that you think no one will believe... I thought that too. Enjoy the free therapy!

We all ramble. We all whine. We all have our moments when we think we can't write!

Fun, tho, isn't it?

Stacey said...

Ahh, I'm sure my list would look much like yours (minus the 50 Cent words) if I made one.
I could find several hundred reasons why I shouldn't blog.

But that would just take the fun out of everything and that...well thats just no fun.

Glad you didn't pay attention to your list.
Thanks for commenting on my blog and I hope to check out your blog often. Maybe some of your brilliance will rub off on me.
Most of the time I feel stuck on stupid!

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty interesting to me! Congrats for making the leap. :)

MommaBoo said...

I would LOVE to read your stories, cynical outlooks and fifty cent words. That's what blogging is all about!

Liked your list and welcome to the blogosphere!

Happy Friday!

Ginny said...

I had to laugh at your list because I most of them sounded like I wrote them, lol. Have fun blogging & who cares what anyone else thinks! I especially like #1 & one of the biggest reasons I put off blogging myself.

Fourier Analyst said...

Gosh, I feel like Sally Fields at the 1985 Oscars (ooh-oh, I think I might be showing my age...). Anyway. thanks so much for all the support and solidarity. I only hope that this effort lives up to your expectations and the high standards I have seen on so many of your own blogs! I hope to have some interesting stuff to come. Now if I could just find a way to make the laundry do itself...

Gunfighter said...

"Gosh, I feel like Sally Fields at the 1985 Oscars..."

"You like me! You REALLY like me!"

To heck with the reasons why not... blog for your own reasons... have fun!!!

But be warned, my friend. Blogging is addictive!