Fourier Analysis is a mathematical tool which can do a number of things: separate out signals from noise; help identify patterns or trends in data; filter out all unwanted data and focus on a single signal; use approximations to make generalizations; make approximations of real world signals (think electronic music); combine harmonics to get a stronger signal. That's what I'll be trying to do here!! Won't you join me with your comments?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Inventions (1)

My technical/scientist side still stays in touch with the developments and discoveries in various areas that interest me. One of the recent inventions is something called "flexible electronics". While this has been part of the sci-fi world for a long time, it is only just now becoming something that can realistically be incorporated into our daily life.

I tell you about it here blogfriends because I predict in a few years time it will be something as ubiquitous as the current IPod/MP-3 rage. To elaborate, the development allows for electronics to be embedded into a flexible, enclosed medium (not such a new thing), but then takes it one step further with flexible connections that can stretch to twice their length.

Imagine wearing your IPod as a headband! Or your mobile phone as a belt! Those are the easy inventions to think up. Sci-fi tells us about flexible electronic books that you can read, then close or roll up. Ever see the electronic piano that Jean-Luc Picard's girlfriend (Star-Trek) played? As the electronics are not only flexible, but the sensitive parts are encapsulated in the flexible medium, they are washable. So devices can be built into clothing and later put into the washer without any damage.

The revolutionary inventions that will result from this development are ones that are yet to come. Inventors in medical technology have been waiting for this development and this will be one of the first areas to take advantage. I can't wait to see what the auto industry does with this. And of course entertainment and information distribution will continue to be on the cutting edge with their new gadgets. Advertisements will invade all sorts of spaces that they couldn't go before. I expect fashion designers will soon get into the act and we may finally see the kinds of "future clothing" portrayed in so many of the sci-fi films and TV programs.

And imagine the toys that will result from this...!

6 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

I have long been fascinated with Scott Card's fictional idea of his main character (Ender) in Speaker for The Dead, wearing his "computer" as a jewel in his ear.
That's what I will be wanting when the technology hits the street, an earring phone so I can use two hands to do something while I talk and I won't have to crick my neck holding the phone to my shoulder!
It really is all about my comfort.

anno said...

Comfort is essential! I, for one, am looking forward to a laptop that won't require chiropractic care after carrying...

Stacey said...

Ohhh I'm excited!!

I love, love , love electronic "toys"

soccer mom in denial said...

I just love you. Seriously. You explain things, are enthusiastic and smart. I had a boyfriend many many moons ago who worked for a certain large Seattle software firm that treated me like a total moron. He just assumed I couldn't understand his complicated work.

Still bugs me even though we stopped dating in 1990 and last spoke 7 years ago.

Real Life Drama Queen said...

Wow.. never ceases to amaze me. I do hope that it goes the furthest in the medical industry, but I fear the "Toys" will win out.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be back.

Fourier Analyst said...

JIH, Anno, WM
Yes, I am excited about this development because I can imagine all sorts of changes (though I might not like all of them!) But I think that change is generally good!

SMID
Aw shucks! Thanks for the compliment. I am a true believer that science and technology should be accessible to everyone. If you can't explain something to a layperson, then it means you don't really understand it yourself! Just remember, it's HIS loss, not yours!

RLDQ
Welcome! We'll "talk" more I'm sure!