Fourier Analysis is a mathematical tool which can do a number of things: separate out signals from noise; help identify patterns or trends in data; filter out all unwanted data and focus on a single signal; use approximations to make generalizations; make approximations of real world signals (think electronic music); combine harmonics to get a stronger signal. That's what I'll be trying to do here!! Won't you join me with your comments?

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Can she bake a cherry pie...

Well I now consider it official, summer is on its way. Despite the fact that I still need a sweater because the Dutch weather is basically cold! And despite the fact that my allergies tell me it is still in the middle of spring. Today I found the sign that tells me that warmer, sunnier days are definitely on their way...cherries! Beautiful, dark and bright, rich, florid-, scarlet-, crimson-, claret-, magenta-, vermilion-, titian-, maroon-, garnet-, wine-, cardinal-, burgandy-, ruby- and camine- red-colored fruits, fresh from the orchards. It used to be that strawberries were my heralds of summer. But nowadays it seems with the innovations of greenhouses and artificial environments, those berries can be found almost year-round. And something is lost in them. Rarely these days do you find a container of strawberries that exude the essence of the sun they have captured.

But cherries are still grown on trees, in orchards and still need sunlight to ripen. And that sun, even though it may shine in a different time zone (the ones I found today I think are from Israel) not only turns them those luscious colors, and sweetens them with a natural taste that can't compare to any chemical flavorings that science can come up with, but it also sends a promise...warmer days are coming!


I did think about baking a pie, but a kilo doesn't seem to last very long around here. Maybe I need to go to the market again tomorrow...

4 comments:

Robin said...

You and I were on the same wavelength tonight - I too was eating some of those luscious Israeli cherries, though mine didn't have to travel quite as far to get to my table.

This post would be a great one for Summer Stock Sunday - my new photo project - too :).

Jen said...

We still have the sun-baked strawberries at the farmers market. I love this season. We'll have to wait a bit still for cherries.

Goofball said...

I hope you can enjoy summer at this moment!

soccer mom in denial said...

Sorry to be coming to this post so late. I'm with you on how long it took summer to arrive! Sheesh! We didn't get it until mid-July.

I love cherries, and am the only one in my family who does.